The Institute of Industrial Engineering and Safety Management Systems
We are the professional and qualifying body for those involved in Industrial Engineering, Fire and Safety Management Systems
Who We Are
The Institute of Industrial Engineering and Safety Management Systems (IIESMS) is a globally recognised, non-profit entity headquartered in Ireland. Our mission is to elevate the disciplines of industrial engineering, sustainable engineering, fire safety, and occupational health and safety. As a trusted advisor, advocate, and educator, IIESMS collaborates with engineering professionals across diverse global organisations, equipping them with the essential knowledge and skills for career advancement.
A key strategic focus for IIESMS is sustainable engineering, a discipline that harmonises environmental, social, and economic factors in designing and developing engineering systems and products. By championing sustainable methodologies and technologies, IIESMS is steadfast in its commitment to assisting members in fostering safer, healthier, and more sustainable work environments.
Beyond offering a comprehensive suite of educational programs, IIESMS also functions as an awarding body. This enables the institute to bestow awards or qualifications upon individuals who have completed specific programs or courses. While numerous programs and courses in Ireland culminate in Irish credentials, IIESMS also extends non-Irish accolades, such as awards from international organisations or national awards from other countries.
In essence, IIESMS is dedicated to empowering its members to attain the pinnacle of professional excellence and to make significant contributions to the overall success and sustainability of the engineering industry.
What We Do
What is Industrial Engineering
Industrial engineering is a specialised branch of engineering dedicated to optimising intricate systems and processes, predominantly within manufacturing and production landscapes. Industrial engineers strive to enhance efficiency, curtail waste and expenditure, and augment quality and productivity across many sectors, encompassing manufacturing, healthcare, and transportation. Key areas of concentration for industrial engineers may encompass:
- Architecting and refining production processes and systems
- Analysing and enhancing workflow and logistics
- Formulating and deploying new technologies and automation systems
- Appraising and optimising the utilisation of materials, energy, and other resources
- Executing time and motion studies to optimise work processes
- Formulating and deploying quality control and continuous improvement initiatives
- Overseeing projects and teams
At its core, industrial engineering is committed to designing and refining systems and processes to maximise efficiency and effectiveness while minimising waste and cost. Consequently, industrial engineers frequently collaborate with other professionals, such as mechanical engineers and computer scientists, to design and implement complex systems and technologies.
What are Fire and Safety Management Systems
Fire and Safety Management Systems are meticulously engineered to prevent and mitigate fire risks and other safety hazards within a specific facility or location. These systems are an amalgamation of technologies, processes, and procedures designed to reduce the probability of fires and other accidents and minimise the impact of such incidents when they occur. Critical components of a Fire and Safety Management System may include:
- Fire Detection and Alarm Systems: These systems are designed to identify the presence of a fire and alert individuals in the vicinity, enabling timely evacuation.
- Fire Suppression Systems: These are engineered to extinguish or inhibit the spread of fires. Examples may include sprinkler systems, fire extinguishers, and other advanced fire suppression technologies.
- Emergency Evacuation Procedures: These are implemented to ensure that individuals within the facility can evacuate safely during a fire or other emergencies.
- Training and Drills: These initiatives educate individuals about responding to fires and other emergencies and provide practice of emergency procedures in a controlled environment.
- Maintenance and Inspection: Regular upkeep and inspection of fire and safety systems and equipment are crucial to ensure optimal functioning and readiness to respond in an emergency.
- Fire Risk Assessment: This process involves evaluating the potential fire risks within a specific facility or location and identifying measures to reduce or eliminate those risks. A fire risk assessment aims to identify potential ignition sources, such as faulty electrical wiring or open flames, and implement measures to prevent fires from starting or minimise their impact when they occur. A trained professional typically conducts a fire risk assessment, evaluating various factors.
In essence, Fire and Safety Management Systems are integral to any facility’s risk management strategy, ensuring a safe environment for individuals to work and visit.
What is Sustainable Engineering
Sustainable engineering is an innovative field that concentrates on creating and developing systems, products, and technologies. These are not only environmentally friendly and socially responsible but also economically viable. The sustainable engineering approach integrates environmental, social, and economic considerations into the design and development. The aim is to mitigate adverse environmental impacts and foster the long-term sustainability of natural resources.
The scope of sustainable engineering is broad, encompassing a variety of topics and applications. These include renewable energy, sustainable transportation, green building design, waste management, water resource management, and eco-friendly product design.
The fundamental principles of sustainable engineering are pivotal to its approach. These principles include reducing energy consumption, minimising waste, and pollution, efficiently utilising natural resources, and promoting environmentally friendly materials and technologies.
The ultimate objective of sustainable engineering is to contribute to a more sustainable future. This is achieved by designing and developing systems and products that cater to the needs of the present generation without jeopardising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
The mandate of our esteemed engineering professional body is to propel the science, technology, and practice of engineering for societal benefit. We are committed to endorsing and upholding the pinnacle of professional and ethical conduct among our members. We also serve as a valuable resource for the public, policymakers, and industry. Our dedication to continuous learning, collaboration, and innovation enables us to shape a sustainable future and enhance the quality of life for all.
As a leading professional engineering body, we are at the forefront of advancing engineering science and technology. We strive to maintain the highest standards of professional conduct and ethics among our members.
Our commitment to continuous learning, collaboration, and innovation is at the heart of our mission. We believe that by fostering these values, we can shape a sustainable future and enhance the quality of life for all people. We aim to contribute significantly to society and the engineering profession through our work
As a leading professional engineering body, we strive to advance, promote, and unify professions on a global scale with the following vision:
- To serve as an inclusive organisation representing the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences of industrial engineers, fire safety engineers, and safety management professionals worldwide.
- To dedicate ourselves to the professional development of our members, equipping them with the requisite knowledge, skills, and resources for career success.
- To champion the significance of industrial engineering and safety management in industry and society, underscoring these professionals’ pivotal role in enhancing efficiency, productivity, and safety.
- To forge partnerships and collaborations with other organisations, institutions, and industry stakeholders to further the profession and its global impact.
- To operate sustainably that does not compromise the environment for future generations, acknowledging the necessity for responsible resource management and reducing the negative impact of industrial activity on the planet.
At the IIESMS, our values are the guiding principles that shape our actions and decisions. They reflect our commitment to excellence, integrity, and service to the community.
- Excellence: We strive for the highest standards in all our endeavours, continually seeking to improve and innovate. We believe that excellence is not a destination but a continuous learning and improvement journey.
- Integrity: We uphold the highest ethical standards in our work, ensuring transparency, honesty, and fairness in all our dealings. We believe that integrity is the cornerstone of trust and credibility.
- Service: We are dedicated to serving our members, the public, and the industry. Our work should contribute positively to society and enhance the quality of life for all.
- Collaboration: We value the power of collaboration and partnerships. Working together can achieve more than we could individually.
- Sustainability: We are committed to operating in a way that does not compromise the environment for future generations. We believe in responsible resource management and reducing the negative impact of industrial activity on the planet.
These values guide our mission and vision, and they are integral to our commitment to advancing engineering science and technology, fostering professional development, and enhancing efficiency, productivity, and safety in industry and society.
Who We Work With
The Irish Government has bestowed upon the Institute of Industrial Engineering and Safety Management Systems (IIESMS) the privilege to nominate a representative to the Industry and Commerce panel of the Irish Senate. Furthermore, IIESMS is frequently solicited for contributions to government-industry white papers.
In recent years, IIESMS has escalated its involvement and formed partnerships in numerous projects funded by the European Union. This active role underscores the Institute’s commitment to shaping industry standards and policies at both national and international levels.
News & Events
The wide-spread use of new methods, digital tools and systems is fundamentally changing production and logistics. In order to respond to this change with innovative,
The largest number of fatalities occurred in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing, where 18 of the victims were self-employed. Seven victims in Construction were self-employed, two
The Farm Safety Partnership Advisory Committee (FSPAC), an advisory committee to the Board of the Health and Safety Authority (HSA), has today published its latest
Covid-19 has disrupted supply chains for the past year and a half. We’ve seen shortages of our favorite things, from ketchup to coffee but many
The AI Institute for Advances in Optimization aims to deliver a paradigm shift in automated decision-making at massive scales by fusing AI and mathematical optimization,
Glenfiddich, the world’s most-awarded single malt Scotch whisky, is set to decarbonize its transport operations, pioneering a circular economy approach with natural gas-powered IVECO Stralis